Wednesday, September 15, 2010 (Rabbit Blanket Campground, Lake Superior Provincial Park to Sault Ste. Marie, ON)

It was a beautiful morning as we packed up the 5th wheel in preparation for the road. The sky was blue...the sun was shining...and the wind was calm...a perfect day! We took our time this morning; no need to rush as we had a fairly short 2 ½ hour drive to Sault Ste. Marie.

We were on the road shortly after 10:30. Our perfectly clear skies clouded up somewhat as we headed south along the lakeshore but it was broken cloud allowing the sun to peer through here and there. The views are spectacular! The countryside is ablaze with colour as the leaves change and the colour of Lake Superior is gorgeous!

As we drove further through Lake Superior Provincial Park, we found many signs indicating there were lots of hiking trails and things to see in the park. We stopped at the Visitor’s Centre at Agawa Bay. This is also where the main campground is. The Centre is very impressive with lots of displays and interpretive exhibits...and the beach...WOW...beautiful!

It was around 2:00 when we pulled into the KOA campground which is just on the western outskirts of the city. We pulled in behind two huge Class A motorhomes from Quebec (we found out later that one of them owned some Canadian Tire stores). We registered...$50.50 plus tax per night for full hook-ups with 30 amp power. I’m surprised they don’t have “off-season” rates...especially when all of the facilities are not open (the pool had been closed for the season). It is a nice park with plenty of trees...the sites are a little narrow but the gravel pads are level and there is a grassy area with a picnic table and fire pit between each site. As we pulled into our assigned site--#25—a fellow was there to help direct us in. As it turned out, it was the owner/manager...a personal touch, I guess. Bill is a very nice fellow and was interested in our truck...he has a big Volvo tractor that carries a smart car and pulls a big Mobile Suites 5th wheel.

We got all set up and as Steve was working on the satellite dish, an older motorhome pulled in across the street. Darrell and Judy are from Thunder Bay and are doing the circle drive around Lake Superior. We had a number of chats with them over the course of the afternoon and evening. Steve also had a long chat with the fellow next door...Paul and his wife are from Alberta and are heading to PEI and then down south. That’s one thing about this type of meet lots of fellow RVer’s.

Through the course of the late afternoon, two more huge Class A motorhomes pulled in just down from us and as we were eating dinner one pulled in right beside us. Bob and his wife, had just left Barrie, Ontario this morning and were heading to BC. They were meeting up with friends in Powell River and then were heading south to Arizona and Texas. He has quite the setup that he tows behind his 42’ motor is a trailer with a box on it that matches his motorhome and carries his motorcycle and right behind that is his car. We didn’t ask what his total length is but I’d say his rig is longer than ours!  That's his rig beside ours...

After dinner we went for a walk around the’s pretty busy in our section...we’re surrounded by huge Class A motor homes... 
Back at our site, Steve prepared a campfire while I made some “special” hot chocolate...well, I thought he was preparing a fire...when I went out with the hot chocolate to sit in front of the fire, all that was there was a pit of crumpled newspaper! He had gotten interrupted by Bill (the campground owner) and a couple of other fellows wanting to see the truck and quads. Bill is planning on buying an ATV—in addition to using the quad around the campground, he owns 75 acres where he’d like to make trails. He even said that we were more than welcome to offload our quads and take them onto the property.

Steve finally got the fire going and we sat enjoying it and our hot chocolate until it started to rain. We were pretty well out of firewood inside we went. I did a little work on posting to our blog while Steve made a couple of phone calls. The first one was to Jim and Nan...he wanted to wish Jim good luck on his moose hunting trip (I think he is a little sad that he will not be joining them this year). The second call was to his brother, Dave. We had had such a good visit with he and Kerry at Reed Lake...that seems like so long ago now!

It was getting pretty late by the time we headed to bed...and listened to the pitter-patter of rain on the roof...all night....

1 comment:

  1. Wow that was a minute ago we met at Reed. Hard to believe it’s been 8 years! You 2 look same as you did then, You both look amazing! Sure glad this years visit, weather & fishing were good & the visit was awesome!