Tuesday, September 21, 2010 (Elliot Lake, ON)

A big thunderstorm with a major downpour woke us up at 5:00 a.m. this morning. You can tell there’s major lightning happening out there when you can “see” the light through closed eyes as you try to sleep.

I finally got out of bed just after 7:00 a.m. for the start of my usual morning. It ended up really being the ultimate in lazy mornings today! We watched a couple of season openers that we had downloaded on our new HDPVR. By the time we had finished our exercises, showered, had breakfast and cleaned up, it was just after noon by the time we headed out.

We had decided to stay until Sunday so we needed to pay for the additional nights, plus we wanted to pick up day passes for the trails to go on the ATV ride with the Elliot Lake ATV Club tomorrow. So we went back to the Visitor’s Centre to take care of that. While there, we also took in the Mining Museum. Unfortunately a few of the lakes in the area are dead as they are used to cover the Uranium tailings. This is apparently the best way to reduce the radiation. They also have a very well documented history of Elliot Lake and the surrounding area.

Once finished there, we went to the local mall and picked up a few things at Shoppers and Foodland and then headed home. As we were pulling in I noticed another Montana 5th wheel in the park. It is smaller than ours but at first glance, I thought it was ours and that someone was prowling around it. But no, we had new neighbours...Peter came right over to introduce himself as soon as we got out of the truck. He and his wife are from Nova Scotia and have been travelling up north. They are here for a few days to look into the retirement housing that is advertised here.

We were contemplating going for a walk but decided against it...those clouds weren’t looking very friendly! Sure enough, just a few minutes later, it started to pour out! Steve played “Mr. Fixit” to a switch on the wall that had come loose while I attempted to upload more pictures to the travel blog. I have the last few days ready with the exception of the pictures...which is a very slow process, if I’m able to get them on at all. This is due to the weak internet connection I am getting using the Rogers Rocket Stick. I am managing to get a picture uploaded occasionally, but it is very slow going...

There was a break in the weather about an hour later, so we decided to chance it...and armed with our umbrellas we headed out for a walk across the street to the lake. It’s a lovely park with a trail that follows the water to a beach and playground area.  Of course, I forgot my camera...and so did Steve...sheesh! We had a good 35 minute walk, arriving home just prior to another huge deluge of rain!

Steve was a guinea pig for a beef stir fry concoction I made for dinner...it wasn’t too bad but the sauce was a little too thick (I didn’t have any cornstarch so had to use flour). We watch the season openers of NCIS and NCIS:Los Angeles and then headed to bed.

We are looking forward to our ride tomorrow... Jeanne from the ATV club had called...the ride was on. We have to be at the clubhouse at 8:45 tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment