Saturday, September 4, 2010 (Winnipeg, MB)

It was a lovely day today...sunny with just a light breeze. Brian and Linda picked us up at 10:00 a.m. and we drove out to Pine Ridge Golf Club, the club Brian belongs to, and had breakfast. After breakfast, Brian took us on a tour...first of the club house which is very large and in addition to the main restaurant, has a fine dining room as well as a huge banquet room—it was all set up for a wedding reception that evening. We left the club house and got into golf carts and he then took us on a tour of the greens...very beautiful. We even saw a family of deer grazing on the edge of the course.

After a great breakfast and tour of the club, we headed into Winnipeg and The Forks. Located at the junction of the Red and Assiniboine Rivers, The Forks has been a gathering place since the days of the fur traders. Today, it is home to shops, restaurants, attractions and a year-round calendar of events. It is very similar to Granville Island in Vancouver. After wandering around the area, we stopped at a restaurant with an outside patio and sat in the sun enjoying a beer. After a stroll through the market, we headed back to the car. We drove through the downtown area and then headed back to the RV Park. It sure is nice having someone show us the sights.

Okay, it’s time for an afternoon we set up the lounge chairs and relaxed in the sun. It was so nice after the recent weather we have been experiencing! After about an hour or so, Steve decided to go in and research our route into Ontario and our next destination. We decided on Elliott Lake—it sounds like a great ATV area, having over 300 kms of trails as well as lakes for fishing. They promote ATV’ing in the area as a tourist industry and it sounds like a great area.

Brian and Linda picked us up again (boy, we are spoiled) just after 5:30...we are going out for dinner and then the horse races at Assiniboia Downs. Since we were unable to get dinner reservations at the track, we went to the Olive Garden and had a great pasta dinner (Seafood Alfredo)...very fattening...but very good! We arrived at the race track in time to watch the last 3 races. Brian’s horse won on the first race...mine came in second. I lost the rest of my $10 budget on the next 2 races and also $10 on the slots...that’s nothing unusual!

It was well after 11:00 p.m. by the time we got home...we had had a fabulous day! Thank you, Brian and Linda!

No comments:

Post a Comment