Sunday, June 26, 2011 (Seven Mile Dam, Pend d’Oreille Valley, Trail, BC)

We took opportunity of a later start today to have a bigger breakfast this morning.  The sun was shining and it looked like it was going to be a gorgeous day...although there were still a few clouds lingering around.

Don arrived shortly after 10:00 and just as we were getting ready to take off, a truck pulling a trailer’d ATV arrived.  Don knew the fellow, having ridden with him before...and since he was by himself, asked if he would like to join us.  Mike accepted the offer and quickly off-loaded his quad. 

Today’s ride involved a lot more hill-climbing up power line trails and less road riding.  It was lots of fun, but I must admit I don’t care for steep downhill grades on loose-rock trails. 
This is Mike, Don and I at one of our stops to admire the view...

There was one part where Don warned me that the trail was “off-camber” for a short distance and I would have to lean to one side as we went across it.  He stopped before the spot and tried to show it to me but from the distance we were at from it, I couldn’t really tell how bad it was. 
This is a picture of the Pend d'Oreille River...our campsite is down at the far end...

There was another option...he could take me down another trail to the road and we could meet up with Steve and Mike at the bottom of the mountain trail they would be taking.  Being the wuss that I am, I opted for that option but it wasn’t without being mad at myself for not taking the challenge. As it turned out, Steve said there wasn’t much to the “off-camber” spot and said I would have been perfectly fine.  I missed a very beautiful area....good thing he took pictures!

There is Don and I way down below...
This is Mike...

We had a fairly short ride today, arriving back at camp at around 1:30.  After loading the quads up, we all sat in the shade of our awning and had a drink.  Mike has a helmet camera and took videos of our ride so I downloaded them onto our laptop.  He wants me to send pictures of our ride to him and he will put them with the video, do some editing, add music and burn onto a DVD for us...very cool!  I guess it is a hobby of his...I can hardly wait to see it! 
Unfortunately Don had accidently locked his keys in his truck this morning so Steve was going to drive him back to his place to get the spare set.  I was going to stay behind and have a much needed shower.  After my shower, I put on a pair of shorts and sat outside in the sunshine and read until they returned.  We sat and visited over a couple of beers (wine for me) and then it was time for Don to head back home. 
We thanked him for such a great time we’d had over the past few days...he really went beyond all expectations with his hospitality!  We wished him well on his surgery Tuesday and with handshakes, he was on his way.  We’ll see you again this fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment