Sunday, August 25, 2013 (Congdon Creek Campground, Kluane Lake, Yukon)

It was just after 7:00 when I got out of bed and turned the coffee and furnace was cold!  (Thanks for the toasties (slippers) you gave us last winter, Charlene...they are getting lots of use!!)  The temperature outside was only 4.6C/40F when Steve went out to turn on the generator at 7:30.  There was fresh snow in the surrounding mountains...yes, the snow-line is still dropping.

It had been windy and rainy all night...the wind had died down now but the clouds were still heavy...

 Just after 11:00, we thought we would brave the cold and go outside for a walk around the campground.  It was definitely chilly but once we got the blood pumping, we warmed up!

On our last travel day the truck had developed quite a squeaky rattle in the dash...something was loose.  So as soon as we got back from our walk, Steve decided to see if he could locate anything loose under the dash. With no luck there he decided to open up the front and see if he could see anything loose there. Nothing was visibly loose but he took a wrench to all the bolts and tightened them.  Don't know if that will make a difference...we'll have to see.

While he was doing that, I walked down to the wood pile and got more firewood.  I made three was something to do to keep warm!

Steve chopped firewood and I got the fire ready...unfortunately I failed at getting it going. I guess I don't make a very good girl scout!  Mind you, it took Steve a couple of tries before he managed to get it going.

Since the wind had died down considerably from yesterday, Steve thought that he would take his rod down to the water and try fishing from shore.  Can you see him in this picture?  I didn't at first...

He wasn't down there long, though...too cold away from the campfire!

I thought I would take a walk down to the lake and take pictures looking back at our site...see Steve?

 ...there he is!

The sun did try to break through...but wasn't too successful. So we basically sat by the fire all afternoon and I read my book.  We also roasted hot dogs...

At about 6:00 we decided to put everything away and go inside...the temperature was really starting to drop again.  We are leaving tomorrow...time to get further south where it's warmer!

No comments:

Post a Comment