Tuesday, February 11, 2020 (La Posa South LTVA, Quartzsite, AZ)

Today is the second day of quad riding with the folks from Yuma. I stayed home today to take care of a bunch of stuff that had been neglected....banking, blog, housework etc...and it was nice to have a day to myself.  Over to Steve...

I led the first part of today's ride. Jim and Cec, also Cowichan Valley ATV members had returned from Yuma and joined us today.

Our first stop was at the Indian grinding holes. I forgot to take a photo so this is from a ride with Dave Roche in 2018...
Our second stop on today's tour was the Goldeye Mine...
Deb and Cec checking out Erdman cabin...
The parade of toilets...
While riding towards the ancient footprint I spotted a couple of Bighorn Sheep on this hillside...
My phone doesn't take very good telephoto shots. I cropped this photo but couldn't locate the other Bighorn Sheep on a second photo I took...
Earl, Jim, Larry, Jill, Deb, and Judy...just to the left of the group and a little above them is the...
...Ancient Footprint...
Earl insisted I get in a photo too...thanks Earl!
From here Earl led the rest of the days ride. I had never done a Go Pro video of this part of the ride so the following pictures are taken from video...

A quick stop to make sure everyone made it up the hill okay before descending down...
Looking back...
Pictures just don't convey how steep some hills are...

I was hoping we were going to head up and over the next pass for some Go Pro video...it's very steep but a fun climb...
Earl's plan was to turn here and have lunch at a wildlife guzzler...
I remembered the guzzler but forgot that it was on my least favourite trail of them all...
"The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly!"
It starts off okay...


My least favourite trail because it becomes very rough for quite a distance which for me gets old after awhile. It's also possible to damage your 4 wheeler and maybe even have a mishap if you're not very careful. At least this part has had some work done to it. Jim and Cec are waiting to see if everyone makes it through...
I was going to post a short video showing how rough the ride was through here, but I was unsuccessful in shortening it from 12 minutes to under 4 using the make a video clip feature...need lessons I guess:)
My turn...
Earl making sure everyone has made it through...except me:)

Jim to the rescue...he noticed I was way off camber here on the rocks so came back to stand on the side of my quad to prevent me from tipping over...thanks Jim!
It's quite a workout on an ATV...everyone else has a side x side which is a totally different riding experience...




Look at the angle of my handle bars...













Eventually the trail got much better as we neared the wildlife guzzler...
Time for lunch...
The wildlife guzzler has a sloping metal structure that drains into...
 ...a trough
...that leads to another structure that is sloped inward and drains into a tank...
 Drink anyone?
 This one has a float assembly visible in the back...
Moving on...
We used to veer off this trail to the Cinnabar Mercury Mine but it has been closed off and you could be fined if caught in there. If interested Click here to view the mine near the end of that blog...






Earl wanted to get a geocache...
The trail continues on the upper left...



Lots of fun hills for the next few miles...






The trail continues next to the I-10 freeway...
...and a buried natural gas pipeline...


















This next hill is very steep...


Joseph Cone's Cabin...






Stopped at Tyson Wash where I took the lead to...
...where else...but to Beer Belly's Adult Day Care! Larry, Deb,Judy,Jill,Earl,Cec, and Jim...
 Judy and Larry in the big chair. I like the sign to the right!
Well that was another great finish to a great day on the trails! With yesterdays rain there wasn't much dust but surprisingly by the afternoon there was some.

Enjoy the rest of your travels Larry and Judy and we may see you back in Victoria. It was nice meeting you Deb and Jill...hope "ya'll" enjoyed riding the area. (Been hangin with American's too long...LOL!)


8 comments:

  1. The grinding holes are one of my favorite things to see out there. One cannot help but imagine who made those holes and how hard life was back then. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always wonder how many years, decades it took to get those holes to that depth.

      Delete
  2. Thank goodness you didn't tip over. I am sure Dianne was pleased she did not go on that ride with off camber places like that. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep...the pucker factor almost kicked in...LOL! Dianne was much happier with the pictures. 😉

      Delete
  3. That was a technical ride for sure. Lots of rocks and sidehills. Was a long day so you needed to rehydrate at Beer Bellies of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beer Belly’s is always a great way to finish and talk about the days ride.

      Delete
  4. Another great ride with a cooling down period at Beer Bellies.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete