Thursday was one of those days that you wish you had just stayed in bed...okay perhaps not that bad but it sure felt like it at the time.
We were all packed up and putting the slides in when the bolt on the big slide cross shaft broke. All I can say is that I'm so glad that Steve keeps spare bolts and knows how to fix it. This is the third time it's happened on this slide in the 7 plus years we've been on the road.
The first thing to do is measure the distance from the trailer wall to the end of each slide end to see if you have to move it in or out. Steve has to move this end of the slide 9" to match the distance on the other end.
Wow...immediately there were three guys with all the parts, jacks and tools on it!
Clayton had also recommended eventually replacing the leaf springs as they had flattened somewhat and would eventually prematurely wear out our new shear springs. $2,052 lighter we are now proud owners of a new suspension, and the trailer now sits about an inch higher making it more level with the truck. He threw in the labour and U bolts, not sure if we got a deal but it is what it is. Wish it was the MOR/ryde independent suspension though! Clayton and the guys at G & G Service were great to deal with and were done in an hour and a half.
Well, that was an expensive stop! But with a new suspension, we were on our way again. We both commented to each other later that we initially thought we were being scammed but once we saw the damage it turned out to be a blessing. We could of had an expensive and damaging failure in the middle of nowhere.
More beautiful scenery as we make our way to Torrey, Utah...
Just before we reached Torrey, we arrived at Thousand Lakes RV Park, our destination. After registering, we made our way to site M2...a large back-in site.
With the couple of major events that didn't make our day, our luck continued with a couple of small things...I turned on the hot water tank but the red light on the switch didn't come on. Luckily we ended up still having hot water, so I guess the light is just burned out. While Steve was hooking up the water, he had a heck of a time trying to get the connections to stop leaking...how can you unhook at one spot where you've had no problems and then hook-up again and it leaks?! Next, we got the satellite dish up with stations coming in...but no sound. Looks like a loose connection was the problem there. Geez...we need a drink!
On a lighter note, this is a picture I took looking out our door...beautiful!
Friday, after such a busy week...wow, we hit the road a week ago!...we decided to just have a "down" day. So we really didn't do much...Steve edited pictures and I started working on blogs.
While I was sitting at the table, I looked out the window to see the campground maintenance fellow cleaning a site. He rides a quad with a couple of rakes rigged on the back and drives back and forth...that's an ingenious way of raking and levelling the gravel. Could have used that setup at Tunkwa!
RV Service Reviews. The tech showed up at 10:45, and after reviewing everything Steve and the previous mobile tech have done wasn't sure what he could do. Steve told him the drain gasket was replaced, the water lines aren't leaking, the tap assembly appeared to be fine and everything that could possibly be sealed has been siliconed. To be sure he removed the tap assembly and took it to his shop to test for leaks. It was fine. He added a little more silicone around the bottom hinge on the shower door where Steve suspects the water may be getting in. It would require removal of the shower enclosure to rule that out and is a big job. Steve was hoping he had a bore scope camera to hopefully spot evidence of the leak from below but no such luck. 1 hour and $132 later...tomorrow will tell if anything has changed. Being in the middle of nowhere and no competition he's got you by the curlies with that shop rate! The mobile tech back home only charges $60.
And that was pretty much our day...looking forward to exploring Capitol Reef National Park tomorrow!