Saturday to Monday, June 22 to 24, 2018 (Thunderbird RV Park, Campbell River, BC)

Saturday morning we headed out for a little shopping. We started off by stopping to fill a gas container up in preparation for another ATV ride next week. Then continued to the plaza where the liquor store is...while Steve went in to pick up some beer, I went into the Save-On-Foods store and picked up a few things. On the way home, Steve dropped me off at Real Canadian Super Store where I did the rest of my grocery shopping. He was more than happy to drop me off and go home rather than wait in the parking lot for me :)

When I was finished, I texted him, interrupting him from his picture editing to come and pick me up. Apparently the resident young bucks wandered through the campground this morning....
Once all of the groceries were put away, it was time for some exercise...so we headed out for a bike ride. It was a busy day at the park down on the spit..."Race the River 2019-Dragon Boat Regatta" had started early this morning and was still going strong...

A spectacular sunset tonight...
We were up early again Sunday (June 23)...for some reason, we are both waking up extra early. We did our usual thing, had breakfast and then Steve got right to work on his project for the day...re-string a day/night shade for the very first time. He's been putting it off for quite a while (it broke last January)..and with the frustration he had doing it, I can see why he had been putting it off. But with perseverance he did it! Good job!
I did software updates on both of our ATV GPS's and entered co-ordinates of where Earl and Allison will be at Brewster Lake camping next week. We plan on off-loading our quads at the start of the logging road, just off the highway, and ride to meet up with them at the lake. I also downloaded geocaches for the area.

Around noon, we decided we had better get out for a bike ride before the rain started. Rain is in the forecast and there are some dark clouds looming. We did have a few sprinkles later on in the day but it lasted for about 10 seconds and that was it...dark clouds still lingered around for the rest of the day, though. The eagles were out in full force...looks like they have a fish...
Further down the beach another two eagles are picking away at a fish...
Back home, I settled back in with the laptop, this time working on a blog update. Once I was done, I passed it over to Steve to do his part...and I hopped back on my bike to ride into town to a private liquor store. The meat marinade I'm making requires a bottle of dark beer...geez, why didn't I think of it when we had been on our previous bike ride? But it sure is handy being so close to the shopping area...I was back within a half hour!

It was 4:30 when I got back...time to sit outside. We started to take our chairs and drinks across to an empty site next to Ray and Anne because we didn't think they were home. But they were, so we joined them for a visit...and enjoyed the view of the estuary.

Monday morning (June 24) I was waiting anxiously for the phone to ring at 9:45. Julie is my Navigator from Rebalance who will be guiding me through the whole knee replacement process. She explained her roll and basically what to expect. She also had a whole bunch of questions to go through with me...a health history review; how much exercise I was getting, how many stairs outside and inside our home, is there a railing, who would be picking me up from the hospital, driving me to rehab appointments, cooking and cleaning, etc, etc. I've got all that covered...thanks, Steve!
(Steve here...you're going to have to get a wife Dianne...LOL! :)

About 45 minutes later, our phone call was over...time to get out for that exercise! We went on a longer bike ride today, riding down to the Discovery Pier, back past the RV park, down to the end of the spit and back.
We rode about 8 km/5 miles and were gone an hour and ten minutes. That included a walk down to the end of the fishing pier and stopping periodically for pictures...
Nice walking/bike path along the waterfront...

Below the bridge are the rails once used for hauling boats up into an old shipyard...
We got off our bikes at Discovery Fishing Pier, locked up them up and walked down to the end of the pier...
The Discovery Fishing Pier Ice Cream Shop and washrooms...
There are a couple of picnic shelters. The railing has hundreds of holes drilled in them to hold fishing rods...
Fish cleaning stations...
At the end of the pier...
 The Marine Heritage Centre is next to the pier...
 View on our way back...the red dock is Fisherman's Wharf...
There's a hand written sign on one of the logs..."Have Fun In The Hut"
Once back, we had a bite to eat for lunch and then were sitting outside when Deb and Ray pulled in. They are on their way back home from their family camping trip at Cluxewe, about a 2 1/2 hour drive north of here. Like they did on their way up there, they are stopping for a visit on their way home...
We spent the afternoon sitting on the lawn at the front of their site chatting and enjoying the ocean view. About 5:30 I headed home to get dinner going (Beef Dip made in the Instant Pot) while the others moved over to the Estuary to enjoy that view and chat with Ray and Anne.

Dinner took a little longer than expected but we finally sat down...
Needless to say, adult beverages were consumed during the course of the afternoon and evening. It was going on 10:00 when we called it a night...always a fun time!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks again for making us dinner on our travel day. Always appreciated not having to mess up the inside of the Motorhome for one night only. :) Will miss you but looking forward to spending time together in August.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As always, wonderful seeing you...looking forward to August.

      Delete