Tuesday to Friday, July 30 to August 2, 2019 (Oceanside RV Resort, Saanichton, BC)

When we had first arrived at Qualicum Bay, we had a neighbour, Bonnie, with the cutest little puppy called Teaco. Bonnie is staying in her motorhome at the campground for the summer...close to family who live in the area. Well, she has had to move around to different sites during her stay...I guess because she hadn't reserved a site in advance...? She had taken quite a shine to Conner and Bryce when they were here...and of course, the boys loved Teaco! She was now in a site directly behind us, so as we were finishing our packup, she came over to say goodbye. We had enjoyed many conversations with her during our stay....but sadly, we never exchanged contact info. Wonderful meeting you, Bonnie (and Teaco)...we wish you all the very best with your health issues in the future!

We pulled out of Qualicum First Nations Campground at 10:00 and headed over to the Inland Island Highway, going south towards Victoria...our destination is Oceanside RV Resort in Saanichton. Back to where we had started last Spring.

 After an uneventful drive, we arrived at 1:00 pm...right on time for the posted check-in time! We are in site #20 this time...right next to our last site. We would have preferred the same site we had before, but I guess since we are here for such a long period, it wasn't available. Site 20 is a bit narrower than 19 and seems that much narrower due to some overgrown bushes and shrubs. But it will work. We will be here until after my knee replacement surgery and we are able to head south for the winter...extending our reservation to November 30, as a precautionary measure. We hope to be out of here well before then!

The rest of the afternoon was busy setting up our home in it's new location. It's also a very windy day, so Steve also put the PVC pipe tie-downs on the slide room toppers.

Wednesday (July 31) morning we were both busy with chores. As we were finishing breakfast, we could hear heavy vehicles and chainsaws. A crew was in the park topping big trees and removing old tree trunks that had been cut years before...
Sure glad this wasn't happening above our rig!
Steve finished his setup outside...including a little gardening to make room for the outdoor mat.....
He had to prune back this bush too. He's met a couple of people in the park that have commented on the lack of garden maintenance including from a person that used to look after them...
There...all set up!
I defrosted the freezer and cleaned the  refrigerator...fun time, eh?

We finished the morning off with a bike ride around the park and after a bite to eat, we headed out to Rob and Angie's. They are flying to Winnipeg to visit Angie's family for a couple of weeks and we are going to drive them to the airport. So we thought we'd go out early to distract the boys so Angie could finish up packing...Rob was at work but would be home just after 3:00.

On our way, we stopped at Superior Collision to get an estimate to have the truck's front bumper re-painted.  Unfortunately, it took way longer than we expected it to take, so we didn't get out to the house as early as we had planned...sorry Angie! No problem, though, she said the boys had been really good and helpful...both are so excited about going on an airplane!

With suitcases in the trunk, I rode with Angie and the boys in the car and Steve and Rob followed in our truck. After big hugs, we said goodbye to them...have a great trip and we'll see you in a couple of weeks! Thanks for the use of your car while you are away...bonus for us!

A final picture at the airport before they leave...
Thursday (August 1) morning we were up and out bright and early...I was to check-in at the hospital at 8:00 a.m. Today I am having cataract surgery on my right eye. Unfortunately, the surgery and check-in times had changed but the surgeon's office had not informed the patients...so my new check-in time was 10:45. Well then....so I ended up getting checked-in left. I'll be back in about 2 1/2 hours.

The plan had been for Steve to drive into Victoria after dropping me off...I have an appointment to have an injection in my right knee tomorrow (the left knee is the one awaiting replacement) and he was going to pick up the prescription. So we headed in together.

With that done, we decided to stop at the cemetery on our way home. We hadn't been to see both Steve's and my parents for quite some time...nice that they are both in the same area.

We were back home just after 9:00 and since we hadn't had much to eat before we left so early, I cooked some eggs and ham for us.

Steve dropped me off at Saanich Peninsula Hospital at 10:45...where I waited and waited. I was finally taken in just after 12 and prepped...and then surgery. The cataract surgery is really no big deal but you are awake for it...with the eye frozen. They drape your face, leaving just the eye exposed. Now, I must admit I did not care for it...I think a good part of it was the idea of what they were doing. Creeps me out...so I just wanted it over. Note to self for the next eye...ask for more Ativan, I really needed to "chill" more LOL!

While he was waiting for a phone call to pick me up, Steve went for his power walk to Island View Beach...
 Looking towards Island View Beach as the tide goes out...
Looking towards Oceanside RV Resort...
The cataract surgery was all over in about 20 minutes (thank goodness)...and Steve was called to pick me up. What surprised me is that the eye was not covered afterwards. They give you an eye patch to wear at night...just to ensure you don't rub or touch your eye while sleeping. My eye was blurry but I was told it would gradually clear....it was also quite scratchy. So I found it uncomfortable for the remainder of the day.

I put the patch on over my eye at bedtime...of course, Steve had a fun time with that!

Friday (August 2) I woke up early...anxious to find out how my vision was. Well...after wearing glasses/contacts since grade 3, I can see without corrective lenses! At least in one eye anyway! Now I just have to wear one contact...in my left eye. I wish I could get the other eye done right away but that would interfere with my knee surgery, so I will wait until next April to have it done.

I had a busy day ahead of me. Shortly before 9:00 I was off...back to Saanich Peninsula Hospital to the Orthopaedic Clinic for an injection in my knee. Unfortunately, my doctor was behind so I waited an hour before I saw him. He had to call his colleague who will be doing the knee replacement surgery on my left knee, to ensure it was okay to give the injection in my right knee. All was okay...and I was out of there at 10:30, giving me 15 minutes to get into Sidney to an appointment with my ophthalmologist for a check-up on my eye.

All was good with my eye...he said the slight wavy vision around the edges was due to the pupil still being a little dilated.

After my morning appointments, I went home. Steve was busy inside...he had been out for his power walk down the beach to Island View Beach. He's back to his daily routine, (needless to say, I am jealous and look forward to being able to join him again!) Lots of flowers along the trail...
 The Island View Beach Campground...
We had lunch and then I was off again...into Victoria. I had a lot of staples to stock up on...and I find Walmart the best place for it. But what a zoo! I had planned to continue my shopping to a grocery store for fresh vegetables and meat but by the time I was finished at Walmart, I was exhausted and both my knees were killing me. The rest of my shopping will have to wait until tomorrow!


4 comments:

  1. Glad you eye surgery went well and you could get your right knee injection. Hopefully it holds until next spring for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn't help but think of the Jeff Foxworthy and friends comedy bit about trimming the bush to make your deck look bigger. If you haven't seen it check youtube lol. I could hear the pirate comments flyin' with the eye patch in place. Can't imagine being "chill" enough for that procedure. Yoiks!

    ReplyDelete