Wednesday, June 21 to Saturday, June 24, 2023 (Trip to North Saanich, BC) PART 2

I didn't have much free time for "just me" stuff during our week but on Wednesday (June 21) it worked out that two of my ex-coworkers were available to meet for lunch. So, Steve agreed he could manage the boys for an hour or so while I met them.

He dropped me off at Glo Restaurant in Victoria and took the boys down to the waterfront and Ogden Point to walk the breakwater.  I'll pass this over to Steve...
Pilot boats...
1.6 km/1mile return, Ogden Point Breakwater is a deep water port at the entrance to the Victoria Inner Harbour...
A fisherman with his small catch at the end of the breakwater... 
And a couple snorkeling...
A tug heading into port..
Whale watching boat heading out with Race Rocks Lighthouse in the distance...
And another...
And one returning...
Fish boat heading into port...
HMCS Winnipeg anchored in the distance...

Bryce and Conner... and time to go pick up Gramma...
As we head back, the Coho Ferry arrives from Port Angeles, WA. Olympic Mountains in a haze from Washington State and Oregon wildfires...
Meanwhile, I enjoyed a good visit and catch-up with Gwen and Lynn! Thanks for organizing our get together, Lynn! Great seeing you both!  (Lynn's photo)
After Steve and the boys picked me up, we stopped for a visit at Pacific Controls Ltd...just a quick catchup with Steve's former co-workers, Cheryl and Marty.

Thursday (June 22) morning we dropped by my (ex) sister-in-law, Sandy's for a visit. It has been absolutely forever since we last saw her! Sorry for taking so long to pop over, Sandy! It was a wonderful visit catching up with her...
Next on the agenda for today was a hike in John Dean Park...one we have done numerous times but we never get tired of! The trail starts with quite an elevation increase right from the parking lot, but then we head down...
...and down...
...and down...
To Pickles Bluff...a great spot for lunch with a fabulous view! I love this picture of Bryce and Conner...
Before carrying on, it was selfie time!

Emerald Pool...

View of Lily Pond...
...from our bench...
Another great hike! Although my tracker says it was just over 3 kms (1.9 miles), it felt like a lot longer with all of the elevation changes!

Late Friday (June 23) morning I had an appointment with my Orthopaedic Surgeon to have an injection of Cingal in my right knee...it was time! Steve and the boys came with me as the appointment is usually pretty quick. However, today he was a little behind so I texted Steve (sitting in the car) that I would be awhile and suggested he take the boys down to Brentwood Bay. (Steve here)
We headed down to the docks...
We were astounded by how many crabs were crawling along the bottom...something I'd never seen before! None of them were of legal size...

We headed back up and over to the other marina. Paddle boarders heading out...
Bryce immediately headed down to the beach to clear it of as many stones as possible! 😂
The injections (yes, 2...one to freeze the spot before the Cingal) in my knee hurt like heck! I told him that I didn't remember it hurting so badly and he said that since I was so sensitive, I was definitely due for the shot! Anyway, my knee was sore for the rest of the day, especially in the evening but a couple of extra strength Tylenol before bed and it was 100% the next morning.

Although I was to do minimal walking after the injections, we decided to still carry on with our plans to take the boys to Fisherman's Wharf in Victoria for lunch. 
Of course, we have to have fish and chips from Barb's Fish and Chips
Well, everyone but Bryce had fish...he chose a hot dog...

After lunch, we wandered towards nearby Jackson's Ice Cream for a treat, then wandered the dock...

Jackson's Ice-cream...
We only explored one of the houseboat docks...


Now at the end of the dock, a Water Taxi and the Pacific Grace at anchor...
That was a great afternoon!

Rob got home not long after we did and a little while later, company arrived! So glad that Steve's sister, Nadine, was feeling better and able to join Mike, Amanda and Matthew for a visit with us tonight. We enjoyed lots of deck time catching up and then Steve grilled burgers for an easy dinner.

A family picture! Left to right...me, Nadine, Angie with Conner, Mike, Rob with Bryce, Matthew, Amanda and, of course, the picture taker, Steve! Good job, honey!
Saturday (June 24) morning we were all packed and the car loaded shortly after 9:00. With huge hugs, we said goodbye to Rob, Angie, Conner and Bryce...thanks for keeping us entertained, boys! It has been a great week, but we were both looking forward to getting home.

The 3 hour drive home was uneventful. We were home, unpacked and relaxing by about 1:30 or so. Since we'd basically sat all morning, we decided to get out for a walk, going down the trail along the river here in the campground. With the warm weather and lower water flow in the river, lots of tubers are out enjoying the water...

And that concludes our week looking after Conner and Bryce...I find it hard to believe they are 10 and 8, where have the years gone! 


12 comments:

  1. Always so much to do! Hope your knee is feeling good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thinking the boys needed a down day after trying to keep up with grandma and grandpa for a couple days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure you don’t have that backwards!? 🤣😂

      Delete
  3. Always nice to spend time with the boys and Rob and Angie but nice to be bck in your own bed. Now onto more adventures on your next trip :) Deb K

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder if Bryce and Connor really understand and appreciate the "grandpa and grandma" that you guys are? I know I would, as I never really knew mine growing up, being the "baby" of the family and the grandparents being so old (and dead soon after I was born!) I know that it does really imbue precious memories and lasting family and moral ties long into their adulthood. While I am green with envy at all of your family and friends that I constantly see in your blogs, I know that not every day is wine and roses with you guys and, like the rest of our human race, you also have to deal with struggles and pain to balance out the spectrum. Having said that, I still enjoy seeing what effects of having such a large group of people can do to help alleviate the human condition as we know it. Sorry for the ramble, but I just had to comment on what I see in your pictures and story telling! Keep up the good role modelling and influence you have on them! Looks like they have excellent role models for parents as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow…thanks for your kind words and tagging along Gordo! You are so right that it’s not all wine and roses, but sure has been an awesome lifestyle. With our transition now we are able to spend more time with family, and the grandkids will only want to hang with the grownups for so long. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The words from Gordo...beautiful. You are all blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great way to spend time with the young fellas. Some trails and some cool city stuff, perfect. Safer travel coming up this week. Look forward to seeing you guys. Mai tai’s??🤔
    D&L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fun time. Mai tai’s…don’t have to ask us twice! See ya soon!

      Delete