Tuesday to Tuesday, October 8 to 15, 2019 (Oceanside RV Resort, Saanichton, BC)

Well the day has finally arrived! I had lived in fear over the past few days that I would come down with a bad cold...or something would happen to cause the surgery to be cancelled. But all was good!

I was up at 5:30 and went directly into have my second antibacterial shower (had one last night before getting into bed). Unfortunately, I couldn't have my morning coffee, though! Nothing to eat or drink after midnight.

I had to be at the hospital at 7:45, so concerned with morning rush hour traffic, we decided to leave at 6:45. Well, we were there within a half hour! I think it is one of those things...if we had left 10 minutes later, we would have hit major traffic. All about timing! But I would much rather be early than late.

I checked into the main reception area then was escorted up to a surgery ward where we waited for over an hour. It was finally my turn and I was taken in to change into hospital garb and escorted to my bed. After answering 10 million questions (LOL), from a very nice nurse, Steve was eventually allowed to join me to continue the wait. We learned that my surgery was scheduled for 9:45...and shortly before that time, I had a visit from the OR Nurse, the Anaesthetist and then Dr. Pugh, my surgeon...he also had "an apprentice" with him.
Next thing was a big burly guy came to wheel me in...a hug and kiss and Steve was on his way. See you later, honey!

I was given an epidural...and the joke as he was putting it in was that at least I won't go home with a baby this time! I had epidurals for the births of both of our kids...LOL! My only concern with the epidural was that I, in no way shape or form, wanted to be aware of what was going on. He assured me I'd have a nice sleep and even if I did wake up, I really wouldn't care what was going on.

The next thing I knew, I was waking up in the recovery room...it was 11:15 a.m. I was completely numb from the waist down...a very odd feeling as I tried to wiggle my toes but couldn't. I did remember waking up and hearing some pounding on metal...yup, he was right, I didn't give a damn. I learned that the surgeon had called Steve at 11:15 to let him know all had gone well and that he could visit in 2 1/2 hours...nice touch!

I'll pass this over to Steve to tell you what he did while waiting...

After dropping Dianne off I stopped off at my former place of work for a quick visit. Then I went to a mall food court for lunch, then visited several stores looking to add to my wardrobe. Refusing to pay $70 - $90 for a pair of jeans I ended up getting a pair at Walmart for $30 :)  I also picked up some flowers to brighten up Dianne's room...I never buy flowers :)

I still had lots of time to kill so drove down to Esquimalt Lagoon...been years since I've been there. The salt water Lagoon on the left and the ocean on the right...
Cruise ship docked in Victoria..
Across the lagoon is Royal Roads University. It was formerly Royal Roads Military College for 55 years, and a University for the last 24 years.
Royal Roads pic from the Web. You may recognize this building...
Image result for royal roads university imagesThe Royal Roads campus has been used as a location for filming TV shows and movies, including The Changeling, the X-Men movies X2 and X-Men: The Last Stand, Smallville, Arrow, Deadpool, and The Professor.

Across the bay is the Canadian Forces Base Esquimalt Canada's Pacific Coast Naval Base where our son Rob works on the civilian side. 
It was first established as a military installation by the Royal Navy in 1855 and has continually served the Royal Canadian Navy since its inception in 1910. CFB Esquimalt is the 3rd largest base in Canada (by population) and is home to the Pacific Fleet, one of two Naval Formations.

Just to the right in the photo is Canada's first and oldest lighthouse on the west coast, the Fisgard Lighthouse...
Fisgard Lighthouse, a tapering 56-foot (17 m) cylindrical tower surmounted by a multi-faceted lantern, is built into a rectangular two-storey dwelling with a gable roof. Constructed in 1859-1860 to mark the entrance to Esquimalt Harbour, it was commissioned on November 16, 1860 and automated in 1928. The lighthouse was in continuous operation until 1957, when a fire temporarily halted its use as an aid to navigation. It is located on Fisgard Island, a small island south of Vancouver Island, on the west side of the entrance to Esquimalt Harbour, just north of Juan de Fuca Strait, in British Columbia.

Just off to the left starting on the rocky shoreline is historic Fort Rodd Hill...

Fort Rodd Hill - a National Historic Site - is a coast artillery fort built in the late 1890s to defend Victoria and the Esquimalt Naval Base. The Fort includes three gun batteries, underground magazines, command posts, guardhouses, barracks and searchlight emplacements. There are numerous interpretive signs and audio-visual stations, as well as period furnished rooms and friendly, knowledgeable staff. Visitors can explore gun batteries and underground magazines built a century ago, as well as searchlight emplacements, command posts...and much more.
At Fort Rodd Hill, visitors can explore gun batteries and underground magazines built a century ago, as well as searchlight emplacements, command posts...and much more. Signs, audio and video stations, and friendly, knowledgeable staff tell the stories of this national historic site.

In the back is a cruise ship in for repairs at the Esquimalt Graving Dock...
With still lots of time to kill I continued to Victoria's Inner Harbour and walked along the Songhees Walkway...
Panoramic shot from Songhees Point...

The next 3 pics are basically the same as above in sequence...

From Songhees Point I continued along the harbour...
The brand new marina for the rich and famous...
Boom and Batten Restaurant and Cafe...checked out their menu and I think the only thing within our budget is the pizza!
Further down is the marina office. The condos along the harbour are beautiful...
A barge in tow with another behind to help steer...
Water Taxi and a Harbour Air Otter taxiing out of the harbour...
Whale watchers returning...
After my walk I returned to the hospital just before 3:00 and phoned from the parking lot (before paying) to see if Dianne was ready for a visitor. Nope...I was told they were waiting for a room for her and it was going to be awhile. Okay...off to another mall for a coffee and wander around. Around 4:15 Dianne called, sounding a little tired, said they still don't have a room for her and didn't know when one would be available so I decided to go home and return the next day...geez!
(Now time for a rant. Pay Parking at a hospital really ticks me off! Nobody wants to be there!)

Back to Dianne...
All was fine while I was in the recovery room and my legs were still "frozen" but that slowly changed...as did the pain level. Apparently Dr. Pugh is one of the few doctors who does not like his patients to be given a nerve block...Femoral nerve blocks for acute postoperative pain after knee replacement surgery. Total knee replacement is a common and often painful orthopaedic operation. Femoral nerve block (FNB) is an analgesic technique that blocks sensation to the knee to reduce pain following surgery. However, after the nurse had exhausted all pain killer options for me, she spoke to the Anaesthetist . He came and explained the procedure for administering a nerve block and under the circumstances, recommended it. Hey...go for it! Knee replacement surgery is supposedly the most painful surgery there is (?)...I've not had much in the way of other surgeries, but can certainly attest to the fact that it is painful!

My assigned bed in the ward was not ready, so I stayed in recovery for a very long time. I can see now, why it's hard to predict when beds are to come available because they give you 24 to 48 hours, depending on pain management and ability to climb stairs. There apparently was also a mix-up in beds which didn't help either...but it was 6:30 p.m. when I was finally wheeled by a couple of nurses up to my room. The room was ready but the nursing staff wasn't really ready for my arrival...so it took a good half hour before I was "admitted" to the ward.

During my time in the recovery room, Steve had been waiting and waiting to come see me with these beautiful flowers!
But as the hours wore on, and it became apparent it was going to be well after 3:00 before I was going to get to my room. Luckily the nurse had a phone that I could use to call Steve and we decided he should just go home and come up in the morning. So nice that my nurse in recovery gave me a phone...I actually talked to Steve a few times while waiting.

Very cool sky...a great shot Steve got from home tonight...
That night and Wednesday (October 9) were spent trying to get my pain level under control. The nurse actually got me out of bed and I did a slow shuffle using the 2-wheeled walker to the bathroom.

Wednesday, the Rehab people were in bright and early. One went through the bed exercises with me and the other got me out of bed. I walked to the bathroom again and then she went through the chair exercises. Both sets of exercises (each have 4 or 5 different exercises) are to be done every 2 hours, alternating them. Who knew that the best accessory for lifting your leg in and out of bed would be a pair of old pyjama bottoms? Just cradle your foot in the crotch and hold on to the end of each leg...works wonderfully!

Steve arrived late morning and was there to watch me go through some of the exercises. I think he felt my pain, LOL! He left to go down for a bite to eat for lunch just after the nurse had given me a shot of morphine...and came back to find me in "lala land".

I think they really were wanting me to leave Wednesday afternoon but I really didn't feel that well and just wanted to stay in bed. I think the meds caused a bit of havoc on my tummy, although I never did get sick. But I felt quite woozy when I got up. With the ups and downs of the pain...I really didn't want to leave yet...besides, I hadn't done the stair test yet (must be able go up and down 4 stairs). So I can really see why it's so hard to predict when rooms are going to be available.

Thursday (October 10) morning, I actually felt much better, tummy wise. After breakfast, one of the rehab girls came and asked if I wanted to try the stair test...and although not done easily, I did it and was cleared to leave.

I called Steve and got ready. A young lady took me down to the entrance in a wheelchair...all timed well so that Steve could just pull in to "load me up" in the car.

The next 5 days have just slipped by with not much activity on my part....bed exercises, chair exercises, pain meds...and of course, icing...lots of icing! The cryotherapy machine is pretty darned slick and works wonderfully...thank you for the use of it Bev and Rob!
And sitting in my recliner too! I've started a new crochet project...a sweater and I already have one sleeve done!

Steve has been very busy taking excellent care of me...he has really stepped up to the challenge and I feel so lucky! From filling the cryotherapy machine with ice, to making all meals and doing dishes, to keeping my water bottle full...and even doing laundry!

But it's not all work, he has managed to get out for some walks. Mount Baker in Washington State...
A First Nation's hunter has dropped off another Deer carcass in the creek for the birds and critters...  
Beautiful sunrise on Saturday...

 And Halloween decorations...
Sunday (Oct 13) afternoon, I got to leave the confines of the trailer and go over to Rob and Angie's for Thanksgiving Dinner.

Rob had picked a bunch of Chanterelle Mushrooms on his hunting trip...they are delicious!
 Angie and Rob...
 Angie and her Dad, Brian...he will be going back to Winnipeg on Tuesday...
Somebody didn't want his picture taken...
We sat down for dinner...ham, scallop potatoes and broccoli/mushroom casserole....delicious! Happy Thanksgiving to all our family and Canadian friends! So much to be thankful for! Bottom left, around the table, Bryce, Rob, Angie, Conner, Brian and me...
After dinner, and once all of the laundry was done, we headed home. Thanks so much for a lovely evening, Rob and Angie!

Late Tuesday morning, Steve drove Brian to the airport. Safe travels home...it was great seeing you! Hopefully that huge snowstorm and damage Winnipeg had over the weekend has been cleaned up!


  1. Glad all went well with your knee surgery...well, except the pain level. My mother is 88 and extremely active, but she really needs knee replacements. She isn't a good patient, however. She had no pain thresh hold and think she knows more than the doctors. So several of us (even her family doctor) suggested she try wait as long as she can!! After reading your account, she won't make it for sure. Hope your pain has gotten under control by now. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

    1. I just keep focusing on the end result which I hear from so many who have gone though it, is fabulous. Just have to get there!

  2. Thank you for sharing the history here and great photos! We look forward to going back to WA to volunteer in the spring and will make a note to take the ferry over to visit again. Glad you had a chance to enjoy the family. Safe travels to your winter roost.

    1. It really is a beautiful area with a lot of history. Definitely recommend another visit for you! We may even be able to connect here next spring as it is likely that we will be back again to have my other knee done.

  3. Glad you are on the mend, Dianne! Hope the pain is soon a thing of the past. 😊

  4. Way to go Steve taking care of Dianne like that, and the flowers to boot! You should have taken advantage of her being down to go buy yourself a new RC plane. After all, she could not chase you down and stop you!
    Glad to hear everything went well and you are recovering (Dianne). Now you can take your desert walks in Q this winter without any aches and pains!

    1. 🤣 I think after I’m relieved of these duties I’ll have earned a squadron of RC planes!

  5. Wow, so that's what knee replacement feels like without the nerve block. Thankfully I had the nerve block! I had both knees replaced this summer, 3 months apart. I woke up to zero pain both times and the only time I experienced any pain was during therapy. Those exercises are painful, esp the 'heel scoot' where you slide your heel towards you as far as it will go. Hated that one! But you have to follow thru or you won't regain a natural gait and will have limited motion.
    Good on you for getting it done. It's crazy to put it off … our time here is limited so we need to make the most of it. Best to you in your recovery! You'll do well !

    1. OMG...zero pain?! Wow, you were fortunate! I know which exercise you are talking about...definitely "ouch"! But important to get the proper range of motion in the new knee!

  6. Glad things are working out just like you wanted. Hard to believe a week has already passed. Keep up the good work. Hugs

    1. Yes, amazing it's been a week already! Just gotta continue work on the exercises. Looking forward to physio and some feedback on my progress.

  7. Dianne,

    Glad the operation was a success. Any operation of any type is invasive and there are so many things that can go wrong. It is always a relief when one has "made" it through the process. Your recovery, and future walking ability, will depend on your rehabilitation exercises, as I am sure you are aware. I am also confident that you will diligently do your exercises as you know what it is like to suffer from that condition for so long. In time, sooner than you think, you will be like the bionic woman! Congratulations on a successful operation and future full recovery.

  8. I hear knees are worse than hips for pain and recovery time, but I'm sure you're up to the challenge. It was pretty major surgery after all.
    Best wishes and hugs to help the pain!

    1. Thanks Dave and Cheryl! Improving each day...But it is a slow process.
      Hope our paths cross this winter...safe travels!

  9. So late with our comments but you know we're thinking of you. Speedy recovery and hope it's pain free real soon. Great pics of the sunsets Steve good work. See you in Q!