Thursday , September 19 to Sunday, September 29, 2019 (Oceanside RV Resort, Saanichton, BC)

Thursday morning started off with lots of looked like it was going to be a warm, sunny day. But by late morning, the clouds had moved in and it was much cooler.

Steve worked on a couple of maintenance chores...installing the replacement centering roller on the boat-loader and then spraying a lubricant on the squeaky arms of the awning...
While he did that, I settled in with the laptop to catch up on a bunch of expense recording, banking...and odds and ends

At 1:00 friends from nearby Sidney, Dan and Barb came over. After a tour of our rig, they all headed out on a beach walk down  to Island View Beach. I continued working on the laptop.
The First Nations hunters have thrown 3 deer carcasses in the creek for the birds and crabs to clean up...
Just over an hour later, they were back and we all got into their car and drove up to Fresh Cup Roastery Cafe and enjoyed some coffee and great conversation. It's always nice to catch up with long time friends, especially when we haven't seen them in quite awhile!

On the way home, Dan and Barb offered to stop by Blind Repairs by Rod so we could pick up our repaired day/night shade...thanks guys!

It was raining by the time we got home...and it basically rained the rest of the afternoon and evening.

Friday (September 20) was a foggy to start but it burned off and ended up being a pretty nice sunny day.

Steve tackled another chore on his "to-do" the Fantastic Fans.
While he was working on that, I decided to get out for a bike ride...and not just around the campground. I rode to Michell Farms (a local farm market) taking the Lochside Trail...
The Lochside Regional Trail is a 29-kilometre (18 miles) trail that runs from the Swartz Bay Ferry Terminal to Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. The trail is a popular route both for commuting and recreation. It is frequented by people walking, running, cycling, skateboarding and riding horses.
About an hour and 10 kms (6.21 miles) later, I was back home....not only was it great getting some exercise, but it was nice just getting out!

After lunch, Steve headed out to run a couple of errands...I stayed home and did some baking...and watched a steady stream of motorhomes come in. Another caravan from the US has arrived! This one is from Fantasy RV Tours.

Saturday (September 21) started even foggier than yesterday morning. But by the time we were ready to get on with our day, it had lifted.

Steve got out for his walk and while he was gone, I made the sauce for lasagne...that way it is ready for tomorrow when Rob, Angie and the kids come over for dinner. I will just have to put it together.

After a water break when Steve got back, he headed out to tackle his chore for today...polish the wheels on the truck. I decided to get out for a bike ride. I did really well on my ride yesterday, so thought I would tackle a ride to Save-On-Foods in Sidney...about 9.5 kms (5.90 miles)

I rode the Lochside Regional Trail heading north this time. I stopped for a rest at Tulista Park in Sidney for a break...the Washington State Ferry that runs between Anacortes and Sidney was in....
I made it to Save-On Foods, picked up lasagne noodles and romaine lettuce for dinner tomorrow...not too much so that it wouldn't be too heavy in my backpack. After sitting with a cup of coffee, I started my trek home. I got home just as Steve was finishing his last wheel. That was a great ride, I'm glad I had no problem!

Sunday (September 22) was a rainy day...making it one of those "good for nothing" days. We basically just chilled inside all day...watching TV. Nothing very exciting.

Just after 4:00 Rob, Angie and the boys arrived. Luckily the weather had improved by then and the sun actually peaked out a bit too. The boys immediately donned their helmets and took off on their foot scooters.

The rest of us sat chatting inside...still a little too chilly to sit outside...while the lasagne was baking in the oven.

The adults ate first...
...while Conner and Bryce came in and out of the trailer, riding their scooters and playing in the playground. It's okay...we fed them afterwards!
It was a school-night, so they wanted to get the boys to bed on-time. After big hugs, we said goodbye and they headed home just before 7:00. So good seeing you all...have a good week!

Monday (September 23) was another rainy, good-for-nothing type of day...definitely an inside day as it poured out!

Steve watched his TV programs while I took care of some things on the laptop...mainly corresponding with Juan at Bernal Dental Group in Los Algodones, Mexico where we have our dental work done. If you recall, I had a bottom molar extracted last May and will need a dental implant. I plan on getting it done at Bernal Dental this winter, so thought I'd do a price comparison.

Last May I was given a quote from my dentist here (who did the extraction)...the complete process from extraction to implant to crown would cost $5875...yes that is for 1 tooth! Juan sent me their price list, so I was able to do a price comparison...the cost for Bernal Dental Group to do it is $1920 US. With the current exchange rate of $0.7552 (which fluctuates daily), that is $2542 Canadian...a savings of $3,333!

Unfortunately I had to have the extraction and bone graft done in May due to an I have already paid $1150. I will have the implant (post) in January and my final appointment will be next fall when we go back down south (there has to be at least 6-8 months before the crown, etc can be placed). The rest of the process will cost $1550 US/$2052 Cdn (split between the 2 appointments)...a lot cheaper than the remainder of $4725 if I were to have it done here!

By 2:00 the rain had let up enough to walk the laundry up to the laundry room...and that's where I spent the next couple of fun-filled hours...whoo...hoo!

Tuesday (September 24) morning Steve captured a beautiful sunrise...
Steve headed out shortly after 7:00 to take the truck in for a service. I stayed up the trailer, completing a shopping list and re-watching the education video for my upcoming knee surgery. I also got a phone call from the Pre-Admission Clinic at the hospital..I have an appointment next Monday to meet with the anaesthetist and the pharmacy. Only 2 weeks to go until the surgery!

It was almost noon by the time Steve got home...that was a long morning for him...waiting.
Luckily no issues were found.But at least he managed to get out for a walk...

Steve here...there's a beautiful walking and biking trail around the airport so after dropping off the truck I decided to check it out. This is the Lost Airman of the Empire Memorial. During WWII Victoria International Airport was a major air base...
(Click on photos to enlarge)
Opposite the entrance...
This was the location of the base hospital...

Each Coopers Hawk feather has the name, rank and age of 179 dead airman or women killed during training. The youngest I found was 18 and the oldest was 55...
The memorial overlooks the airport, Saanich Inlet and the Coast Guard Base...

I had a huge grocery shopping list, so after lunch we headed into Sidney. Steve dropped me off and then went off to take care of a few errands he had.

A couple of hours later, we were back home and Steve was carrying bags of groceries into the trailer...and I was putting them away. There, all stocked up for now...I plan on making some pre-made freezer meals for when I am recovering...and Steve has to be the chief cook!

We had a beautiful start to the day Wednesday (September 25)...lots of blue sky and sunshine. Steve headed off for his walk and about 15 minutes later, I was off on my bike. I had an eye appointment at 11:30 and was happy the weather was co-operating so that I could ride my bike. It is 8.5 km/5.3 miles and took me about 40 minutes, taking my time. I stopped to take a picture of our favourite waterfront walk (or ride)....
After my appointment, I ran a couple of errands...and then started my trek back home. It was now cloudy...what happened to the sun? On my last leg of the ride, I heard a big truck and a horn was Steve. He had taken the truck back to BMT to have a touch up done on the recent paint job done on the bumper and boat loader.

By the time I got home, the weather had drastically changed from the beautiful sunny morning. It was cloudy, a strong breeze had come was now darned chilly out. Rain is in the forecast for tonight along with a cold front coming in, in the next few days.

Thursday (September 26) was one of those days where the morning just slipped by...I was taking care of a bunch of odds and ends on the laptop while Steve was out for his walk. It was almost 11:00 by the time I got into the shower!

Steve washed and waxed the boat before putting it back on the truck...and with his work done for the day, he relaxed for the rest of the afternoon. I decided to get out for another bike ride...this time I did 30 minutes, going out of the RV park and down to the waterfront. I rode down to the end of the spit, back and then did a couple of loops once back in the park.

Friday (September 27) started off with sunshine...but we knew it wasn't going to last. A cold front with lots of rain and wind is in the forecast.

Steve got out for his walk...and encountered this little fellow. On yesterdays walk this friendly little guy ran out of the bush further up the trail for some lovin and did the same thing today. It has a collar and tag so must belong to someone in the RV Park or reserve.
As predicted, the rain started around we basically hunkered down inside watching TV.
It came down in buckets along with some hail for a brief period...
The rain was relentless all afternoon...not a great travel day for Earl and Allison coming down island from Royston. They arrived just after 4:30...we watched as they drove by in their truck and camper, expecting them to back into an empty site behind us. But they were given one five sites down from us...too bad, they have a little further to walk up to us in the pouring rain.

We enjoyed a wonderful evening with them...dinner...
And after dessert, numerous games of Rummikub...
And of course, Abbey...
It was going on 10:00 when we all called it a night. A fun evening with great friends!

Saturday (September 28) ended up being a beautiful sunny day...but breezy and cool. Steve headed out for his daily walk...having company today. He, Earl and Allison, along with Abbey did the beach walk down to Island View and back.
While they were gone, I did the mountain of dishes from last night and cleaned up inside.

The reason for their trip was Allison had a luncheon in Sidney with some of the nurses she had trained with.

We had a relaxing afternoon inside...although it looked beautiful outside with the blue sky, it was just too chilly to sit out there. Other than about 20 minutes of riding my bike around the RV park, I sat knitting while Steve watched TV.

Earl and Allison came over around 4:30 for happy hour (thanks for bringing snacks!) and then about an hour later, we all headed out for dinner. Of course, being a Saturday night and not having made reservations, our first choice at Mary's Blue Moon Cafe had a 40 minute wait. So we went to our backup plan...the Prairie Inn. It was busy but we managed to snag the last table for 4.
It was going on 8:00 when we got home....time for Rummikub! This time we played 4 games and we each won a game!

Sunday (September 29) was a mixture of sun and cloud...actually more cloudy. Steve met Earl and Allison at 9:00 again this morning for a walk. This time they walked the spit...
Steve got home about an hour later...sounds like they had a good walk. It was tough walking on all that loose sand!

About 45 minutes later, Earl, Allison and Abbey dropped by to say goodbye. So good seeing you...thanks for coming down to visit this weekend! After big hugs, they were off. See you in Q...if not before!

It was a pretty chilly day today, so we basically spent another relaxing afternoon inside. I finished working on a pair of slippers and then, since Steve edited pictures, I thought it was about time to get another blog update done.

Just before 4:00 we headed over to Rob and Angie's for a visit and dinner. Rob has been getting everything ready for his upcoming hunting trip next weekend. He is spending his annual hunting trip with Steve's good buddy, Jim...and Steve gets to go this time! Well...for a few days anyway. They leave next Friday morning and on Monday, Rob will drive Steve out from their camping spot to Lake Cowichan and I will pick him up. Needless to say, there was lots to discuss between Steve and Rob! We enjoyed a casual dinner of grilled burgers, a visit with our is Conner showing Grampa how far he has progressed on his flight simulator app...
...and then after big hugs, we said goodnight and headed home. A spectacular sunset over Pat Bay as we drove along the inlet...we just missed the best part...
And there you go...not super exciting as we sit here waiting for my surgery. We both can hardly wait to hit the road again! "Hitch-itch" has set in!


  1. Glad all is going as scheduled and you are able to get out on your bike. Today the weather is a balmy 67F but feels much warmer in the stronger sunshine. Both Ray, the dog, and me love the lower humidity except for the dry skin. lol I am sure people can tell we are Canadian as most are bundled up with toques and we have short sleeve shirts and shorts. Ha Ha

    1. Sounds like all is going well on your travels south. Enjoy!

  2. Busy times. Nice to get in those bikes rides before surgery. Hope all goes well and you’re all healed up by time we see you in Q. Fantastic trails you have there! I really liked the feather memorials too.

    1. Thanks, Deb! Looking forward to getting this over with and hitting the road south! See you in Q!

  3. The price difference betwwen US/Canadian dental compared to Mexico is amazing. We are planning at least on trip down there to get a check up as well.

  4. Getting so close to your surgery time!! Good for you getting out for such long rides to keep it exercised. Getting in some good visiting time with the grandkids and another visit with Earl & Allison, nice. Can Abby look any cuter, like she posed for that shot lol. Great sunset pic at the end Steve!

    1. It is almost surgery time...I'm so ready to get it over with! So glad I have been able to ride my bike!