Steve woke with an awful cold this morning. He said his throat started feeling funny last night...well, he has a full blown head cold today! Consequently, he wasn’t up to doing much this morning. I had planned to go into Langley for groceries so it was about 10:30 when I headed out in the truck.
I took my time, returning home
just after 12:30. It ended up be a
fairly nice day so Steve was outside reading a magazine. After lunch he seemed to have a little more
energy so he did some work on the trailer windows...trimming the
caulking that had expanded from the window frames and re-caulking where necessary.
I started to sit inside and work
on our blog but since it was actually nice out, decided to sit in the sunshine
and read my book. The forecast is for
rain so I might just as well take advantage of the sunshine while we have
it. Sitting inside on the laptop is a
good thing to do when it is miserable outside!
It was close to 9:00 p.m. when I
received a text from Angie...Rob was back in the hospital. What?
She said he had been doing better but all of sudden had taken a turn for
the worse. He had had a CT scan on
Sunday and it had come back normal...thank goodness! But now his headache had gotten worse and he
was vomiting again. This had both Steve
and I very worried...we were just home for 6 weeks...why is this happening as
soon as we leave?!!
I immediately called our good
friend Nancy and she and Rob (her husband) went to the hospital to provide
support for Angie. Being an ER nurse
herself, Nancy knows the “in’s and out’s” of the ER and will be able to help
Angie understand what’s going on...and provide emotional support for her and Steve and I since we can't be there. It was
around 12:30 a.m. when Nancy called...Rob was stable and was under the care of
a top-notch ER doctor. Thanks so very
much, Nancy and Rob for being there!
Tuesday morning Rob was still in
the hospital undergoing numerous tests...and playing the waiting game waiting
for results. His doctor was getting in
touch with neurologists...it looks like they may transfer him to the much bigger,
Victoria General Hospital for an MRI. By
this point, I had decided that I really wanted to go hop onto the ferry and get
back there. Steve was in no condition
with such a bad cold...besides he would not be welcomed into the hospital. I decided to call our son, Chris, to let him
know what was going on and to see if by chance he would be able to take some
time off work. As it turned out, his
company was very understanding and Chris took off around noon. He had to head home, pack a bag, arrange for someone
to check in on his cat and then he would be out to pick me up.
It was shortly after 2:00 when Chris
arrived...we would not make the 3:00 ferry and of course, there wasn’t a 4:00
so it would be the 5:00 ferry. During
this time, we learned that Rob had been transferred by ambulance to Victoria
General. It would be after 7:00 by the
time we got there.
As it turned out, Rob was just
being released as we arrived at the hospital.
He had been thoroughly checked out (with in-depth testing) by a neurologist
and it was determined that an MRI was not warranted. I must say that I was very disappointed by
this. Oh well, I sure hope they are
right! The diagnosis is viral
meningitis. It will just have to run its
course. Thank goodness it wasn't bacterial meningitis!!
We said our goodbyes to Nadine
and Mike (Steve’s sister and husband) who had been with Angie and Rob since
early afternoon. Again, thank you so
much for being there to support Angie.
Angie was exhausted so I drove her home (in her car) and Chris drove his
Tuesday night and Wednesday was
spent just being there to help keep an eye on Rob...he had gone up and down a
number of times over the past few days.
We were just keeping our fingers crossed that he wouldn’t take another
turn for the worse. Wednesday actually
ended up being a pretty laid back day for Chris as well...he was coming down
with a cold. The rest probably did him a
lot of good.
Thursday morning Rob was about
the same...still has a headache but it is not as severe as it has been and he
hasn’t taken a turn for the worse, so Chris and I decided to head back to the
mainland. We will catch the 1:00 ferry.
With heavy traffic, hitting all
the lights red and stopping at Shoppers Drug Mart to pick up some cold meds for
Chris, it was close to 4:00 by the time we finally made it out to Fort
Langley. Steve was pooped...he had spent
the day washing the roof and awnings on the trailer. He is still suffering from his cold and
figures working outside in the on again/off again rain didn’t help either.
Rather than battle the traffic on
Highway 1 where there is a lot of construction going on as they replace the
Port Mann Bridge, Chris decided to stay for dinner. So it was nice that Steve was able to spend
some time with him too.
Chris headed off at about 7:00
and after seeing him off, we went for a stroll through the campground before
settling back inside for the evening.
Friday morning we woke to blue
sky and sunshine...one nice day before the rain sets in again. So we were going to take this opportunity to
wash the trailer. It hadn’t been washed
since January 1 when we were at Fort McDowell, Arizona...mind you, all you
really need to do when in Arizona is dust it with the California Duster. But after our trip back home with all the
rain and then sitting for 6 weeks in storage, it was pretty dirty...time to
give it a good wash. That is also why we are back here at Fort Camping for the week...few campgrounds allow RV washing but they do here, so we wanted to take advantage of it...get all cleaned up before we hit the road again.
That was pretty much an all-day
job and Steve was tired by the time it was done. That cold of his is still hanging on and
zapping his energy. My job was to
provide assistance...mainly holding the water hose and rinsing off the soap.
As predicted, we woke to rain
Saturday morning...and it just poured all day.
So we had an “inside day”...I was mainly working on our blog while Steve
watched TV. Hopefully, a good day of rest
will help him get rid of this cold!
We were supposed to leave
tomorrow but with the weather forecast of rain, we decided to extend our
stay. As a rule, we prefer to not travel
in rain where possible (especially after just spending hours washing the rig) so as it stands right now, we will leave Tuesday.